Myanmar’s earthquake death toll has increased to over 3,085 as more missing bodies are found amid a temporary ceasefire declared to facilitate the ongoing rescue operations.
The deadly 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar on Friday, causing heavy damage and casualties in the country and neighboring Thailand.
To ease the ongoing relief operations in different parts of the country, Myanmar’s ruling junta declared a temporary ceasefire this week in the Southeast Asian country ravaged by war.
The junta announced in a short statement that more than 4,715 people have been injured, while 341 people are still missing.
The epicenter of the earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city.
The quake brought down and damaged thousands of buildings, critical infrastructure, bridges, highways, airports and railways across the country.
Telecommunications are widely out and news of more casualties is expected to come from many remote places that are difficult to reach.
On Monday, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a flash appeal for $8 million of emergency aid from countries.
“With infrastructure compromised and patient numbers surging, access to health care has become nearly impossible in many of the worst-hit areas,” WHO said.
“Thousands of people are in urgent need of trauma care, surgical interventions and treatment for disease outbreaks,” it warned.
WHO said four hospitals and one health center have been destroyed, while another 32 hospitals and 18 health centers have been partially damaged.
So far, 17 countries have provided aid and rescue equipment to the quake-stricken regions.
In neighboring Thailand, the collapse of a high-rise building led to 19 deaths in the capital city, Bangkok.
An initial investigation linked the cause of the collapse to the use of substandard steel in the building.
Watch NBS news on YouTube in Bengali । Subscribe Our YouTube Channel: