Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit has warned of the consequences of global inaction against Israel’s flagrant disregard for international legal norms, saying the occupying regime is seeking to destabilize Lebanon and Syria through military provocations.
Ahmed Aboul Gheit made the remarks in a statement on Saturday, amid Israel’s genocidal war in the Gaza Strip and its repeated acts of aggression against Lebanon and Syria.
“The wars waged by Israel on the occupied Palestinian territories, Lebanon and Syria have entered a new phase of complete recklessness, deliberately violating signed agreements, invading countries and killing more civilians,” he said.
The senior Arab official went on to say that Israel’s actions aim to destabilize Syria and Lebanon through irresponsible military provocations driven by narrow domestic agendas at the expense of civilian lives and regional peace.
Aboul Gheit further described Israel’s resumption of targeted assassinations in Lebanon as an unacceptable and condemnable breach of the ceasefire agreement it signed with the Arab country last year, stressing that the move jeopardizes regional stability and risks uncontrollable escalation.
“It seems that the Israeli war machine does not want to stop as long as the occupation leaders insist on facing their internal crises by exporting them abroad, and this situation has become clear to everyone,” he said.
In January, the Israeli regime was forced to agree to a ceasefire deal with the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas, given the regime’s failure to achieve any of its objectives.
The 42-day stage of the truce, which was marred by repeated Israeli violations, expired on March 1, but Israel is refraining from stepping into talks for the second stage of the agreement.
Israel resumed its relentless bombing of Gaza on March 18, bringing the overall death toll since the war began to 50,669.
According to the Health Ministry in Gaza, at least 115,225 Palestinians have also been injured in the brutal Israeli military onslaught on Gaza since October 7, 2023.
The Israeli regime also agreed to a ceasefire with the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah on November 27, following significant losses over nearly 14 months of conflict against Lebanon and failing to achieve any of its military and political objectives, including the elimination of Hezbollah.
In addition to breaking the terms of the ceasefire agreement and keeping parts of its forces in Lebanon, since the commencement of the agreement, the regime has been carrying out near-daily assaults on Lebanon.
The Israeli military has also been launching airstrikes against military installations, facilities, and arsenals belonging to Syria’s now-defunct army since the collapse of former President Bahsar al-Assad’s government.
Late on Wednesday, nine civilians were killed and several others wounded in an Israeli airstrike that targeted Syria’s southwestern Dara’a province.
Israeli military aircraft also targeted the vicinity of the scientific research center in the Barzeh neighborhood of Syria’s capital, Damascus, as well as the airport in the central city of Hama.
Israel has been widely condemned for the termination of the 1974 ceasefire agreement with Syria and for exploiting the chaos in the Arab nation in the wake of Assad’s downfall to make a land grab.
Watch NBS news on YouTube in Bengali । Subscribe Our YouTube Channel: